Placitas library launches book discussions with
The Da Vinci Code
On April 6 the Placitas Community Library will hold its first monthly book discussion on The Da Vinci Code. Few novels in recent years have sparked such prolonged interest and strong opinions as this one. If you have not yet read this fascinating intrigue on the history of Christianity, the Holy Grail, and much, much more, we have several copies available to check out. We will be meeting on Wednesday April 6, both at 10:30 a.m. and at 7:00 p.m. to make it convenient for everyone. Judy and Bob Gajkowski will be leading the discussion at the library. The next several titles to be discussed will be chosen. Please join us!
The library has received its official 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. It is a long and challenging process, as many of you know, but we have now jumped all the necessary hurdles. We have always been able to receive your tax deductible donations under the New Mexico Community Foundation, but now we have our own tax-deductible status. Thanks to all who worked so hard to achieve this!
- April 6, Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. to noon and 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Book discussion. The Da Vinci Code. Bring your thoughts and ideas about this controversial and popular book for a lively discussion. We have copies available at the library to check out. Choose the titles for the next several monthly discussions.
- April 13, Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. Monthly Board Meeting. Everyone is invited to join us.
- April 19, Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. Volunteers Meeting. The librarian volunteers meet each third Tuesday for education and planning. Please join us.
- pril 23, Saturday, 10:00-12:00 a.m. Earth Day Celebration. Bring your kids and perhaps your gloves as we plan to plant a small vegetable garden in honor of Earth Day. Come as your favorite plant or animal, and we will play and plant!
- April 30, Saturday, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Placitas Community Library Birthday Party. Please join us on Placitas Appreciation Day as we say thanks for our first full year of operation. Plans are still in the works. We know there will be refreshments and at least one band; last year we had the Placitas Brass Band, and we are hoping they will come again. There is a rumor the Placitas Mountain Band may show up, too. Other possibilities include Pepi's Pet Parade, book sale, plant sale, raffle, and new and interesting things at the library itself.
Join us on Saturdays from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. for the story hour, and on Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for coffee, conversation, and the Times (Los Angeles and New York).
Storehouse West flower sale starts April 13
Storehouse West is getting ready for its fourth annual flower sale, with hundreds of beautiful geraniums and daisies and hanging baskets of ivy geraniums and verbena, all grown at La Paloma Nursery. Funds raised will be used to operate Storehouse West’s food and children’s clothing programs and distribute federal commodities to senior citizens. The plants cost between $3 and $11 and are available in fuchsia, red, salmon, pink, orange, and white. Beginning April 13 they can be purchased on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at 1030-R Veranda Drive, Rio Rancho. Special Saturday sales will be held on April 16 and 23, also from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information, call 892-2077.