An Independent Monthly Newsmagazine Serving the Community since 1989


Women, money, and divorce

The Displaced Homemakers Office of the New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women is offering a free six-week support group focusing on women, money, and divorce every Tuesday from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. in the conference room of the New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women, 4001 Indian School Road NE, Suite 300. The group is open to women going through a divorce who want to know what their rights are regarding financial assets. Topics to be covered include how to structure the divorce settlement to provide financial security, how to live on a reduced cash flow, whether you should keep the house, what you are entitled to in terms of medical insurance coverage, dividing 401K, IRA, and other pension plans, and planning for childrenís support and education. Seating is limited, so register early. Contact Deborah Gunderman, 841-8920 or 800-432-9168, extension 103.


Driverís-license scam

Alarmed by the continuing unauthorized sale of international driverís licenses on the Internet, AAA New Mexico warned consumers that international driverís licenses offered by Web sites for use by U.S. citizens in the United States are a rip-off.

AAA New Mexico emphasizes that no licenses or permits purchased on the Internet are legal driving documents for U.S. citizens residing in the United States.

Brenda Yager, manager of AAA New Mexicoís Public Affairs office said, ďWhat is deeply troubling are come-ons that entice consumers with the promise that an international license can be used if their license has been suspended or revoked or can be used to avoid driverís education. Many of these sites charge as much as $300 for an item that can be purchased legally for $10. AAA is one of only two organization authorized by the U.S. State Department to sell International Driving Permits and Inter-American Driving Permits in the U.S. These permits are simply intended as a translation of a motoristís state driverís license for use when traveling outside of the United States. International law is very clear about using an international permit instead of a driverís license [within your own country]. You canít do it, period.Ē

U.S. citizens interested in obtaining an IDP or IADP for use outside this country may print an application from the AAA Web site at New Mexico applicants may visit one of AAA New Mexicoís four state offices or mail in their application with a copy of their driverís license and two passport photos to purchase a permit. For additional information, call 291-6611, 792-1936, or 800-846-0377.




[Front Page] [Up Front] [Community Bits] [Dark Skies] [Fire & Rescue] [The Poll Page] [Featured Artist] [Time Off] [Around Town] [Calendar] [Eco-Beat] [Business] [The Gauntlet] [Community Links] [Sandoval Arts] [Senior News] [Animal Hotline] [Schoolbag] [Back Issues] [Ad Rates] [Contact Us]